Jonny, an instamentor mentee, recently completed a virtual onsite interview at Yelp and received a great job offer as a senior data scientist.
Here is what Yelp's virtual onsite interview process looked like.
Yelp Data Scientist Job Interview Summary
How it gets started: applied on LinkedIn
Job Level: Senior
Year of Experience: 5 years experience
Degree: M.S in computer science
TC: ~200K USD
Location: San Francisco, CA
Interview process: 3 weeks
Preparation: 1 month
Has a job: yes
Decide to join: N/A
Yelp Data Scientist Job Interview Round 1: recruiter chat
Basic questions such as salary expectations, whether willing to work in the SF in the city in the future. What do you know about Yelp?
Yelp Data Scientist Job Interview Round 1: Hiring Manager informational chat
Introduce each other, what the role is about, which other teams you will be collaborating with, and example ML projects that you will be working on.
Yelp Data Scientist Virtual Onsite Interview
Round 1: behavioral questions
- Why Yelp?
- How do you handle conflict with your coworker?
- Give me an example of a challenging project that you recently delivered.
Round 2: Python and Product Sense
- Basic pandas data processing question with a test data set;
- How can we get more businesses interested in listing at Yelp?
- How long do we need to run this A/B testing on a new restaurants recommendation algorithm on Yelp?
Round 3. machine learning and product sense
- Difference between logistic regression and neural network.
- Why boosted tree usually work better than a simple logistic regression model?
- How do you choose a model with similar performance?
- Feature selection and regularization.
Round 4: SQL and product sense
- How do we evaluate a new messaging feature on Yelp for business and customer communications?
- Write a SQL query to compute the metrics in #1.
- How do we test two different versions of user interface designs? How can we improve the test?
Jonny received the job offer after two weeks of the virtual interview.